Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-02-21, 02:24 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I think I've read most (all?) of Rosamunde Pilcher's books; my first was Coming Home, which I loved, but I loved The Shell Seekers too.

Kate, I can't remember if I read Winter Solstice, but if not, maybe I should re-read; I had the same reaction you described after I recently re-read Maeve Binchy's A Week in Winter (even the titles are similar!).

Anna, I value good writing too; I'm thinking that I should probably give RPO a pass.

Sherry, good recs! I may have discovered Maeve Binchy from you (definitely some of the other Irish authors).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 02-02-21, 04:51 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
... Anna, I value good writing too; I'm thinking that I should probably give RPO a pass.
It is all a bit YA-ish, but I do enjoy it.

If you haven't given Becky Chambers a look, I'd say give her a try. Character based sci-fi that I like so much I've read them all several times each.
Old 02-02-21, 05:02 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Oh wow! I loved this book and didn't want it to end. Isn't it fun how our tastes are different?

Carol
Yes definitely! I really liked Before We Were Yours; thought it was excellent so was disappointed when I didn't feel the same about this book. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this type of story. Sometimes I need to alternate between novels of this type, mysteries, biographies, books on "how to", etc for variety. I'm in the mood now for a good psychological thriller.
Old 02-02-21, 05:05 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Yes definitely! I really liked Before We Were Yours; thought it was excellent so was disappointed when I didn't feel the same about this book. .
I had the exact same experience!

Erica
Old 02-02-21, 10:31 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I liked Pilcher's Winter Solstice better than the Shell Seekers. September is my favorite of hers. And I liked both A Week in Winter by Binchy and the book by the same name by Marcia Willett. Good character and location development in all of them. And well written but not too heavy, though real life happens.

I have a bunch of Willet's books to read in order since there are characters who recur, but I got bogged down 3/4 of the way through the first one. I don't like most of the characters and know that one is going to die. That's more of an issue for me right now than in the past. Besides A Week in Winter I've read Second Time Around, and really liked both of them so I'll get back to her at some point.

I don't have anything fiction going at the moment, though plenty to choose from. I'm reading a lot of nonfiction lately but have had a streak of books that turn out to be self-published and not very good. There was a reason regular publishers turned them down. Sometimes it's hard to tell online if a book is just from an indie publisher or self published. My local bookstore is a bit thin on the nonfiction I'm wanting at the moment, though I've had them order a few things.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
Old 02-03-21, 09:00 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
... Sometimes it's hard to tell online if a book is just from an indie publisher or self published. ...
This is so true! It's nice for some that they've got a way to find an audience, but others just seem to be wanting to make money no matter how badly written their books are. Ugh.
Old 02-03-21, 09:32 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I saw this discussion refresh and realized I'm so far behind!!!

I always reading something different, pretty much Stephen King is my only "serial author." Favorites from the 56 books I read in 2020 included:

Fantasy - The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern - favorite! An shifting and turning fantasy hinging on an underground - and I mean underground in all kinds of weird ways - group that is controlled by and controls the stories in books. Hapless souls from the real world fall in and have bizarre adventures.

History - The Five by Hallie Rubenhold - very interesting look into the real lives of Jack the Ripper's known victims. These women are always considered "just prostitutes" but Rubenhold researched their real lives - only one was a true sex worker - and the sad circumstances that led them to a life of poverty on the streets and in and out of one night shelters. Also a real life look into Victorian times.

Science Fiction - Obscura by Joe Hart - couldn't put it down! I want to see it turned into a movie.

Historical Fiction Opium & Absinthe by Lydia Kang - a tongue in cheek, at times humorous look back into the lives of well to do citizens during the turn of 19th-20th centuries in New York City, the lady's "vapors" and the availability of legal opiates.

Theological Fiction/Buddhism - Shunya: A Novel by Sri M. - a very weird short read about an eccentric old holy wise man who takes up residence in a small village. Very funny at times, an unusual short read for sure.

From Stephen King I read The Institute and liked it very much.
Old 02-03-21, 10:01 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Fantasy - The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern - favorite! An shifting and turning fantasy hinging on an underground - and I mean underground in all kinds of weird ways - group that is controlled by and controls the stories in books. Hapless souls from the real world fall in and have bizarre adventures.
Hi Pat. Have you read Morgenstern's The Night Circus. That is one of my all-time favorites! I liked The Starless Sea -- the imagery was lovely, but it lacked something for me. (That didn't stop me from reading it 2x last year: once in a blur of anticipation, once to fully process.)
Old 02-03-21, 11:15 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Kate, I can't remember if I read Winter Solstice, but if not, maybe I should re-read; I had the same reaction you described after I recently re-read Maeve Binchy's A Week in Winter (even the titles are similar!).
I saw that one mentioned earlier on the thread and put it on my list to check the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
I liked Pilcher's Winter Solstice better than the Shell Seekers. September is my favorite of hers. And I liked both A Week in Winter by Binchy and the book by the same name by Marcia Willett. Good character and location development in all of them. And well written but not too heavy, though real life happens.

I have a bunch of Willet's books to read in order since there are characters who recur, but I got bogged down 3/4 of the way through the first one. I don't like most of the characters and know that one is going to die. That's more of an issue for me right now than in the past. Besides A Week in Winter I've read Second Time Around, and really liked both of them so I'll get back to her at some point.
Marcia Willett is new to me and after all the recs here I am excited to read some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I was so excited to read this after loving The Night Circus but ended up passing on my library hold because it has been so hard for me to concentrate on intricate plots over the past year. Same with Piranesi by Susanna Clarke.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 02-03-21, 01:28 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Hi Pat. Have you read Morgenstern's The Night Circus. That is one of my all-time favorites! I liked The Starless Sea -- the imagery was lovely, but it lacked something for me. (That didn't stop me from reading it 2x last year: once in a blur of anticipation, once to fully process.)
Alison thank you, I'll put that on my list!

If you like weird fantasies - Church of Marvels by Leslie Parry is a good one. When we had it for book club I read it twice just in our four week book span! Full through and then just parts to figure out how I missed a major twist.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading