Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-02, 12:13 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Question Dynamic sequencing in Winsor Pilates tapes???

I was wondering if there was anything that really sets the Winsor tapes apart from other pilates tapes on the market?

Does Dynamic Sequencing mean that she put the exercises in a different order than the traditional method? I was hoping that someone could please post a list of the exercises in the order that Winsor does them. Thanks.

Also is her instruction "better" than Ana Caban, Jennifer Kries or Moira Stott? Or just different? If so, how?

I know it's a lot to ask all in one post and appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Nat
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-02, 01:09 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Not sure I can answer

I do Pilates for injury rehab first and cosmetic benefits second. The exercises are in the order they were designed to be in. The difference is mainly basic exercises in the basics tape, a few more exercises in the 20 minute tape and most of the whole deal in the 50 minute tape. She leaves advanced exercises out of the order of the shorter tape but she doesn't change the sequencing. She sometimes does 4 reps slow and then a few more fast to challenge balance and form. I don't know what they mean by dynamic sequencing. Maybe it's a term used to sell more tapes.

I wouldn't say that her instruction is better. Since form is so important in Pilates I always think the more instruction I get the better off I'll be. Maybe someone explains something differently so I get it. Or not. Different being their choice of words or showing it on someone so we see what's going on.

I'm sure I didn't answer any of your questions!

Linda
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-02, 01:52 PM  
olga
VF Supporter

I am also wondering the same things, Nat. Why is everybody raving about these tapes, how are they different from all the other Pilates tapes that are out there? Are there any reviews on Intensive body sculpting yet (does anybody know whether I can buy it separately?).
Sorry, Nat, instead of answering your questions, I added several more

Olga
olga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-02, 05:20 PM  
Kimmigirl
VF Supporter

Hi Nat,

IMO the Winsor tapes are are different from other tapes in a few ways. First, Mari does not actually "do" the exercises put she walks around instructing and reminding you of your breathing and giving you tips on good form. She is very encouraging and motivating and has an overall pleasant demeanor. For some reason, for me, this actually helped me the use better form because she explains the each exercise so clearly without wasting time. Another thing a like about these tapes is that the time seems to pass so quickly when you're doing them, that I actually look forward to doing a 50 minute tape instead of dreading it. The most important thing though is that I really "felt" the workout the next day particularly in my hips, thighs and legs. I don't usually get that with other pilates tapes. As far as Mari's instruction as compared to others, I would say she is very friendly, relaxed and encouraging. I think her style is less intimidating than other tapes that are at the intermediate/advanced level while at the same time being very effective.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. (By the way, Olga, I don't think that the tapes are sold seperately, as far as I know, but I can tell you that I use both the 50 Accelerated tape and the 20 min tape and I like them both.)

Kim
Kimmigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-02, 06:50 PM  
Lorrie

I've had only a dozen or so different Pilates tapes and found not all are sequenced in the same order. Although they probably should be, but some instructors tinker with the original order I'm sure. Or some leave out some exercises and others insert back exercises inbetween the ab ones which to me makes the workout too easy, while it may give the beginner a break.

I can't comment on the Winsor yet (hope to get them in soon) but when I saw the sequence of the informercial, it appealed to me. Not the "dynamic" term, but she had each body part in its own section, which is better than scattering them around making it easier.
Old 05-26-02, 06:08 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Dynamic Sequencing

The sequencing is what appealed to me, and is one of the reasons I ordered the tapes. Just tried them for the first time today, and this is what I thought...
There is an organized flow to the moves, but she starts right off the bat with "the hundred," which I don't care for. I'll have to review some of my other Pilates tapes but I don't remember starting out with, "the hundred?" I will say, the modifications in this tape are excellent, for people who need to bend their knees, and aren't ready to lift their head off the floor. It seems like a lot of thought went into the making of the tape, to appeal to everyone.
Also, she teaches breathing in through the nose, and out through the nose, because your nose acts as a natural filter for the air. Ana Caban teaches breathing in through the nose, and out through the mouth? So, this will take me some getting used to? I am also used to instructors counting for you, which can be good or bad, depending on whether they have any natural rhythm. I found in first doing the tape, I was a bit behind everyone else? To me it seemed to move pretty fast, but thorough. So, the flow of things is good, because you sure don't want a tape that drags.
I like the fact that she explains things, and has other people doing the moves, because as someone might have said already, it slows the tape down when you have so much explanation (Ana Caban's beginners tape comes to mind!)
I haven't tried all the tapes yet, but what I saw, I certainly liked! My favorite tape so far is the buns and thighs tape, that was included if you got the additional two tapes (buns & thighs, and abs!) You're not only doing the side kick series, but you're doing additional legwork that I found quite good! There was something called the clam, and a few others that I haven't seen before.
Overall, I'm very pleased with the Winsor tapes! Even though I didn't answer your questions about the sequencing, because my memory is not that good, I did like these tapes! These will probably be the ones I reach for the most, especially the Bun's & Thighs one! Honestly!

Pam
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 06:29 PM  
flexiblefit

Hi Pam,
Actually, the hundred is supposed to be the first exercise performed in the matwork. In Classical Pilates, at least. The additional exercises that Mari shows in the hip and thigh tape are not Pilates exercises, but nontheless real "bunburners".
kim
flexiblefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 07:05 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Hi Kim -

Do you know the exact sequence of mat exercises in Classical Pilates? If you do, could you please post them here? This is something I've been very curious about.

Thank you,
Nat
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 07:05 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

That's funny, that "the hundred" is usually the first exercise performed in the matwork series! Now, that I think about it, you're probably right! It's been a while since I've done matwork, but I use my Performer all the time. And, I have some fusion tapes that incorporate other things besides Pilates, so those are the one's I was probably thinking about. Ha ha!

The hundred makes sense because it get's the blood pumping throughout the body, I guess. But, if it were me, I'd start off with something that was a little easier for beginners to do. Rolling like a ball or something, and then ease into the core work once you're warmed up? Maybe that sounds crazy, and that's why I'm not an instructor, ha! Good thing, since I'm still trying to get the breathing down without passing out!

Pam
Old 05-26-02, 07:25 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Nat,

Included in the Winsor Pilates kit is a chart that lists the "Winsor Dozen." I don't know if this differs from the classical Pilates sequencing, but here is what is listed, if this helps?

1. The Hundred
2. The Roll-Up
3. Single Leg Circles
4. Rolling like a ball
5. The Roll-Over
6. Single Leg Stretch
7. Double Leg Stretch
8. Single Straight Leg
9. Double Straight Leg
10. The Criss-Cross
11. Spine Stretch Forward
12. Little bit of heaven (or Child's Pose)

The chart is nice, with colored pictues of person (Suzanne, from video) performing each exercise.

Ok, now that I've listed these, it looks like it's Mari's twist on things with the Child's pose from yoga included at the end.
But, probably similar to traditional Pilates? I don't know?

Pam

Tags
winsor pilates