Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-03-01, 04:21 PM  
junemom
VF Supporter

Question Heart Rate Monitors?? Help!

I really would like to get a Heart rate Monitor for Xmas but don't know what one to ask for. I know from having asked this question in a variety of other forums that Polar is highly reccomended...but what I'd like to know is this:

which HRM will let me program intervals in? I'd like to tell the HRM before I go for a run to, say, keep me at 50% capacity for 5 minutes, then 80%capacity for 1 minute, then 65% capacity for 5 minutes, etc.

Does anyone know if this is a common feature that they all do? Is this what is referred to as zone timers in the comparison charts? Or do I need one that specifies that it has intervals timers (Polar XT for instance). Also, I've seen the Times Ironman "fitness monitor" at Costco for a reasonably good price...does anyone have this and will it do what I'm looking for?

Any help or reccomendations are greatly appreciated.

Christine
Old 12-04-01, 05:17 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

I've been eagerly awaiting a reply to your request. In the meantime, I found this at epinions.com

http://www.epinions.com/well-Supplie...Heart_Rate-All

Please let me know what you choose.
Old 12-05-01, 01:50 AM  
Lotus

Hey Christine. I bought a Polar A3 Heart Monitor a few months ago because I just couldn't figure out if my leg muscles or my heart was pooping out first in my runs. I believe that the heart rate monitor was one of the best investments I've made. Sure, I do those perceived exertion checks, but the cold hard truth from the monitor can't be beat! My fiance wanted me to have the A3 model because it also gives the time of day (San Bernardino isn't the safest city for running alone). I hope this helps!

Michelle
Old 12-05-01, 10:36 AM  
junemom
VF Supporter

Thanks for your posts! I have had a look at the epinions page and do find it really helpful. I still don't know if I'm reading the comparison charts right, though. I really want a HRM that will "walk" me through an interval workout. ie, it will beep when I should do my 1:00 anaerobic, beep when I should go down to aerobic and keep me there for 5:00 or whatever, then beep me again to recover for a bit.

I assume this is the function referred to as interval timing...but this seems to be only available in the waaaaay more expensive models, the Polar XT etc.

If anyone has a cheaper one that does this, let me know!!

thanks,

Christine
Old 12-05-01, 12:10 PM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

Junemom- could you stand to wear another watch??

One solution to your problem would be to get a basic HRM, plus buy a sport watch that does multiple intervals. Wear a watch on each wrist. This is what I do for my walk/run marathon training- though I'm not really trying to get into different heartrate intervals- I'm just trying to keep track of my heartrate, plus do my walk/run intervals.

The watch I use is the Timex Iron Man Triathlon 100 LAP. It is important that it be the 100 LAP (!!) watch- not 100 meters, or 8 laps, or anything else like that! This watch allows you to set up to 9 different intervals, which sounds like what you want! You can even set it for continuous mode- which is what I need and use for those 5 hour marathons!

Walmart has it on-line for 41.73, which is as cheap as I have ever seen it- except for mine, which I got in a special one-day deal at Target for 39.99. Never have seen it that low again!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...2695&dept=3891

Timex also has the Woman's Rush VO2- but that only allows you TWO intervals (though they can be continuous). So I don't think that is what you want!

Anyway- having a basic HRM and an interval watch is a LOT cheaper then a HRM with intervals.

Hope this helps.

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Old 12-05-01, 04:41 PM  
junemom
VF Supporter

WOW!! Clare, that is such a good idea.

Christine
Old 12-06-01, 12:30 AM  
Sheila S.
VF Supporter

HRM question

Hi Christine -
I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you but I'm curious about what you're looking for.
You say you want an HRM that will: "beep when I should go down to aerobic and keep me there for 5:00 or whatever..."
What do you mean by "keep me there"?
My HRM lets me set a training zone range and beeps when I'm outside that zone.
Sounds like you want to set at least 3 different HR levels - you mention 50, 65, and 80% and I'm assuming you want it to beep when you're outside of each zone and beep again for your intervals. That sounds like a lot of beeping for one watch. I know some of the fancy HRMs have more bells and whistles than I could figure out how to program so you can probably find one to fit the bill.
But I think Clare's suggestion of 2 simpler units might be an easier and less expensive way to go - unless you're a professional programmer!

Sheila
Old 12-06-01, 09:11 AM  
junemom
VF Supporter

Hi Sheila,

What I'd like to be able to do is prgram in an interval training session. So that I would work at, say, 60% max heart rate for 6:00, then be told (by a beep) that 6:00 is up, I would work at 80% max heart rate for 1:00, be told by a beep when the 1:00 is up, then work at say 70% max heart rate for 3:00 recovery time, then repeat. I suppose the HRM would also have to be telling me that I am actually in these zones, by beeping, and you're right, this does sound like a lot of beeping. Basically, I need signals to indicate time changes, and heart rate zones. Maybe I do need 2 devices.

I've never used one before, and I'm thinking I may actually have to go to a store (imagine! leave the computer...) , and look at a few with a salesperson there, and see if what I want is actually too complicated, or even unneccessary.

My main interest in getting a HRM is that I find the concept of perceived rate of exertion pretty hard to gauge. And, I know for me alot is dependent on how tired I am, or what I did the day before...for instance, some days I do the endurance intervals from Shape magazine on my elliptical, same tension, same speeds, and I can be completely winded one day and not even feel it another. So I'm looking to be able to do intervals in my running, or on my elliptical, without overtraining.

I also am really curious to wear a HRM while doing, say, the firm Vol 2 and see if I am working way too hard, or not enough. (I hope it's too hard!)

I will defintely report back after looking at some "live" in person this weekend, but any other suggestions or questions are highly appreciated.

Christine
Old 12-09-01, 11:53 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I got a fairly simple model on Firm Swap (Nordic Track, brand new) for $45. It was listed for $139, and a close out model. It beeps when you are below or above your target range. I just needed something simple, and the price is right. She still have several of them, if you are interested. She bought them thinking she will be a PT, but changed her mind. I think it's a good deal.

Haslina