Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-16-24, 12:23 PM  
fatkat555

Joni, what moves flared up your back? I think if we pin that down, it might help.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 03-16-24, 01:16 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Joni, what moves flared up your back? I think if we pin that down, it might help.
I don't remember. It was a long time ago. Lots of things flare my back, unfortunately. I'm going to try some Pilates YT workouts and see what the culprit might be.
Old 03-16-24, 02:37 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I had a reformer for a few years but I sold it sometime in early 2021, getting pretty much what I paid for it (it was a good one). It was really a space hog and I wasn't using it enough to justify. I've never regretted selling it.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Old 03-16-24, 07:09 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I've had a Stott reformer for 23 years. I have (had) a lot of spine issues that made it hard for me to do much of anything. They've been treated so yay. I used to roll out of bed, crawl to the reformer, do an intermediate workout, and go about my day with no pain. Every day was the same. Roll, crawl, workout, and live like a normal person.

My husband was my biggest supporter. Probably because he saw what the reformer can do. Our dog would sometimes get on my tummy to ride the carriage while I did footwork. Our dog and my husband passed away in 2016. Maybe I've been on the reformer 5 times since. I know its good for me but I can't. My excuse today is I have a nine month old kitten that would get into the springs or run over by the carriage. Tomorrow will be another excuse.

Strength? Oh, yeah. I used to lift with Cathe but I gained a lot more strength on the reformer. My SO works in a facility where his strength might save his life if things go bad. He uses 100 pound dumbbells for biceps for the fun of it. I put him on the reformer and coached him through a workout. The next day he said he was sore. Probably because the reformer works all those small muscles that don't get worked while lifting dumbbells and barbells.

If you aren't sure, take a class or find a cheap one to try. Start slow because if you give it a chance it will kick your butt.

Protect your joints no matter what!

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
Old 03-17-24, 08:44 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post

My husband was my biggest supporter. Probably because he saw what the reformer can do. Our dog would sometimes get on my tummy to ride the carriage while I did footwork. Our dog and my husband passed away in 2016. Maybe I've been on the reformer 5 times since. I know it’s good for me but I can't. My excuse today is I have a nine month old kitten that would get into the springs or run over by the carriage. Tomorrow will be another excuse.
Just wanted to say that I’m so sorry for your loss of both your husband and dog.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 03-17-24, 03:48 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Thank you fatkat.

Old 03-17-24, 08:41 PM  
Callie6

Hi, I'm new to the forum and excited to be able to post
I've been doing Pilates by Lisa for several years and started taking pilates classes at a local studio in February. They have beginner, beg/int, intermediate and advanced. You use a variety of props on the reformer, small and large ball, light weights, bands, pilates ring and box.
The goal for each body part is to find your quiver. You usually squeeze a ball during glute and arm work, so lots of inner thigh work.
I did my first intermediate class and was sore for days.
Highly recommend trying a reformer class, it gives you a good base for working out at home.
Old 03-18-24, 09:29 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Totally false! Once the footwork warmups were finished at PT I got a fantastic strength building workout on the reformer. Especially when we used the box and pole for upper body. When I use my Winsor videos, I admire the lean and toned arms on Mari and her background demonstrators, who were all trainers at Mari's studio. They got those sleek muscles from the reformer.

It also fried my core, butt and thighs.
So agree! I kinda sometimes chuckle to myself when Pilates is referred to only as a 'recovery' workout. Um, sure, it can be, like anything else can be, but it's also so much more. I taught Pilates a million years ago in a past life before most people knew what it was, and all of us teachers had to take frequent advanced sessions with another trainer to keep up on things. I remember going to visit a friend in another state I hadn't seen in months during that time, and her immediate comment was that I looked taller. Later in another situation, she said 'you are so strong...do you know how strong you've gotten?' Made my day back then!

I'd kill to have a reformer in my home as I'd get even more use out of my Pilates Barre OnDemand subscription. Tracey has lots of reformer classes on there, and I don't have one, grrrr!! This thread just makes me want one even more, sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
I've had a Stott reformer for 23 years. I have (had) a lot of spine issues that made it hard for me to do much of anything. They've been treated so yay. I used to roll out of bed, crawl to the reformer, do an intermediate workout, and go about my day with no pain. Every day was the same. Roll, crawl, workout, and live like a normal person.

My husband was my biggest supporter. Probably because he saw what the reformer can do. Our dog would sometimes get on my tummy to ride the carriage while I did footwork. Our dog and my husband passed away in 2016. Maybe I've been on the reformer 5 times since. I know its good for me but I can't. My excuse today is I have a nine month old kitten that would get into the springs or run over by the carriage. Tomorrow will be another excuse.

Strength? Oh, yeah. I used to lift with Cathe but I gained a lot more strength on the reformer. My SO works in a facility where his strength might save his life if things go bad. He uses 100 pound dumbbells for biceps for the fun of it. I put him on the reformer and coached him through a workout. The next day he said he was sore. Probably because the reformer works all those small muscles that don't get worked while lifting dumbbells and barbells.

If you aren't sure, take a class or find a cheap one to try. Start slow because if you give it a chance it will kick your butt.
I'm so, so sorry for your losses.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
Old 03-18-24, 06:00 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Thank you kittybug.

Old 03-19-24, 07:19 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie6 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum and excited to be able to post
Yay! Welcome!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes

Tags
aeropilates, pilates, pilates reformer, reformer