Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 07-12-23, 10:47 AM  
alisoncooks

Do you stretch after strength-based yoga?

I stretch after everything. EVERYTHING, lol. Otherwise, I’m prone to stiffness and soreness.

I’ve been contemplating switching up my routine by doing some strength-based yoga instead of my current heavy weights. But…I still feel the need to stretch afterwards, lol. (Which feels silly…Stretching after yoga…)

I want the benefits of strength and stretch in one workout. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Old 07-12-23, 11:36 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I took an in person strength based yoga class last month with my son. It was challenging for both of us and honestly I was proud of myself for keeping up. Nothing felt better to me than stretching things out with Essentrics afterwards as I was quite sore!

I think any dynamic stretching would be helpful after a challenging yoga class.

And of course I am going to suggest Essentrics for a combo stretch and strengthen program!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 07-12-23, 12:03 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

No, not after a strength based yoga session. If it's really tough, I'm usually done! But, I might add a more yin/recovery workout afterwards, when I have the time.

But, I guess it depends on the focus of the yoga. I'm weaker in my Upper Body, than in my Lower, so if shoulders, arms and chest are worked (pushups, planks) I might do a mobility or more dynamic warmup first. Something really quick. Even something like downward dog, or stretching with strap or flexband, will help me to open up the shoulders/chest first.

May Focus:
Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch Season 9 (All Standing)
Sahra Esmonde-White Body Sculpting Series, Toning for Beginners, Ultimate Stretch workouts

Old 07-12-23, 12:08 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Yes, I too stretch after EVERYTHING. I do a number of workouts with strength and stretch benefits (barre, yoga, Essentrics, Callanetics, etc.) and still always add in my own stretches after because it's just how I roll. I don't think it's silly at all to stretch after yoga, especially when you're trying to go deeper into some particular stretch. Seems like the perfect time!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
Old 07-12-23, 05:05 PM  
Leonana

I don't, but I'm terrible about stretching. It's my least favorite thing to do, and I don't do it enough.

Tags
athletic yoga, stretching, yoga