Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 07-03-23, 09:30 AM  
Leonana

Exercise is Anti-Aging for the Skin

I subscribe to Arnold Swartzneggar’s Pump email. Thanks to whomever recommended it. In today’s email, he wrote about this study.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-37207-9

Quote:
A little bit of sweat might be the skincare solution you didn’t realize you needed.

​Recent research suggests that the best way to have more youthful skin might be a consistent workout routine.

In the study, participants performed 16 weeks of either aerobic workouts or weight training. The scientists found that both forms of exercise resulted in skin improvements, such as better skin elasticity, dermal structure, and skin tone.

Exercise is likely so effective because does so much more than burn calories and build muscle. Both cardio and weight training help an inflammatory response that defends your skin against the natural aging of the cells in your skin. And, while supplementation gets all of the hype, exercise can also help increase your natural production of collagen, which is a key protein that supports healthier skin.

And for the record, you don’t need to train like Mr. Olympia to see the benefits. Both groups trained twice per week. The people doing cardio trained at a moderate intensity (about 65 to 75 percent of their maximum heart rate) for 30 minutes and performed a 5-minute warmup and cooldown. And the weight training group performed a 6-exercise full-body workout consisting of 3 sets of 10 reps each.
https://schwarzenegger.ck.page/0943ca5e13
Old 07-03-23, 11:19 AM  
gladgirl

Smile

Thank you for sharing. I've recently restarted my workouts and this, for some reason, is very motivating for me! (I'm turning 69 in a couple of weeks)
Old 07-03-23, 11:39 AM  
Leonana

Glad to help!
Old 07-03-23, 02:25 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Of course, this doesn't take sun damage in to account. Many bodybuilders tan (though also fake tan) for shows.

While exercise is beneficial to skin, it can't offset sun damage.

So, exercise with a hat and sunscreen.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-03-23, 06:59 PM  
Leonana

Very true! I wish I hadn't laid out in the sun when I was a teenager back in the 70's. My mother warned me!

Tags
aging, exercise benefits, results