Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-11, 01:42 PM  
laurajhawk

I bought my ProLite in Feb. 2006 (just checked my Amazon history ) and it's still in great shape. Yes, it's thicker than basic mats, and it's longer, and it feels great, but what really makes it worth the price is the longevity. I started doing yoga in 2004 and went through two mats -- a K-mart cheapie and a quite nice (but short-lived!) Reebok mat -- in the first two years. Since then, I've used the ProLite about, oh, three to ten times per week! ... I never had problems with slipping after initially washing it with shampoo.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 03:05 PM  
Stephanie_B

You're welcome Breezy

ITA with Sharon too, I know it's totally personal like workout shoes and bras, something kind of personal.

Also last year or the year before I noticed Sports Authority, Sports Chalet and REI had Mandukas on their websites and coupled with coupons (they were all I think the Black Pro) substantially discounted. I wanted specifically a color and so I kept waiting, put it off, and finally asked for the birthday (not a jewelry or perfume girl here)..well "ask" isn't the right word I said "this is what you got me kids" and I ordered I think when I was hunting for the Jade (because I wanted to try a different company) there was one sporting goods store that had that, but I can't remember the name offhand.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 07:45 PM  
herya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
I don't like the think black one much (I've used my teacher's for practice), but the prolite has been my preferred home mat for many years now. Daily use. Still just like new. It was never slippery. It's stabile and grippy without being clinging and yucky (like some of the tapas varieties I've tried).

I have a weakness for mats and have many, including the jade harmony, but the prolite remains my favorite.

However, as with many things, this is a highly individual preference. The only way to know for sure is to experiment. Hard to do though, with the high cost of mats etc.
Sharon, I heard much better reviews of the prolite than of the pro! I may have practiced on a prolite equivalent actually. One of the studios I go to uses Planet Sadhana mats as their rent mats - it's a heavy duty brand popular in Britain. According to what I heard from a British yogi who used to sell yoga goods, Manduka and Planet Sadhana are, or used to be, made by the same manufacturer in Germany with different brand names slapped on them, and some small differences in styling. Planet Sadhana brand is just a little cheaper (here at least) but it's essentially the same stuff. The same manufacturer also makes those no name heavy black mats and I wonder if they may be the same thing again. It seems that if you start looking for a heavy duty mat in Europe all roads lead to Germany!