Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 10-04-11, 08:05 PM  
pedmom

Kettlebell Heaviness Progress

Yes yes yes, another KB thread!

I started with KBs about 2 weeks ago and fell in love. I bought a 10 lb one. I have since heard and read that I should maybe be using a heavier bell. Background on me: I have worked out most of my life except for a 2 year hiatus that ended early this year. I'm well into it again and mostly do Cathe, Tracie Long, and some Firms for strength; mostly elliptical or treadmill for cardio. So I'm in decent shape. I still need to lose about 20 lbs but I would say I'm an intermediate or upper-intermediate level right now.

I can't remember what the benefit of using a heavier bell would be, besides the obvious. Is it easier on the neck/back for those of us that are still learning perfect form if you use a heavier KB?

Asking for you novices to share your experience with this KB newbie.
Old 10-04-11, 08:37 PM  
Cammie-Cam

I'm still sort of a newbie as well (new to kettlebells, not to working out I mean), but I've been working with kettlebells for about a month now. From what I've gathered, a 10 pound bell is quite light. Using a heavier bell, especially for swings will help you with your form because you'll be less likely to muscle the bell up with your arms and use more of your hamstrings and hip drive to get the bell up to that weightless position at the top of the swing. As I said I've only been doing kettlebells for a month but I've already progressed to a 12kg for swings (that's about 27 pounds). I use an 8kg (abt 17 pounds) for other exercises like swings, cleans, presses, etc. Like you I'd consider myself an intermediate exerciser, with about 30 more pounds to go before I get to my weight loss goal.

There are lots of others here who have been doing kettlebells for way longer than I have so I'm sure they will chime in also.
Old 10-04-11, 08:42 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi pedmom! I am new to KBs too--just started in the past month. I was originally going to buy a 10 lb. bell, but after doing more research, I became convinced that wasn't heavy enough, so I bought a 8 kg (18 lb.).

My understanding is that it is important to go heavy, particularly for swings, in order to maintain proper form. KBs are different from other weights in that your form is more likely to be off with a lighter weight. This may be because as Anthony DiLuglio (of Art of Strength) says, KBs are NOT about weight, they are about movement; again, this is very different from other forms of weighted strength work.

Anyway, I don't know about you, but for me, my 8 kg is already feeling too light for swings, at least 2-armed ones; I can hoist it very easily. I will probably purchase a 12 kg (25 lbs.) very soon. Alysia Gadson of LiveFit (ultimatekettlebell.com) says it's helpful to have 2 kettlebells, a heavier one for when you have the KB down low, and a lighter one for when you are pushing the KB over your head.

Hope this helps!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 10-04-11, 10:08 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

It's not a bad idea to keep a 10lb weight for kettlebell dvds that are more cardio focused, like Bob Harper and Paul Katami. And, for learning things like TGU, overhead presses.

But yes, most definitely you'll want to heavy up for swings especially. Otherwise you'd feel like you're lifting with your arms with too light a weight (and that's not what you want!) As already stated, you need to drive with your hips and legs, with abs braced and pressing heels into floor. Shoulders should be back and down, with chest out.

Heavier weights work well for deadlifts, rows, swings, squats.

With women, our shoulders tend to be weaker, so it's ok to use a lighter weight when doing overhead work. At least until you feel comfortable enough to move up in weight. But, you don't want to risk injury starting too heavy either.

Pam

May Focus:
Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch Season 9 (All Standing)
Sahra Esmonde-White Body Sculpting Series, Toning for Beginners, Ultimate Stretch workouts

Old 10-05-11, 06:43 AM  
Kyra

Beth got it spot on. Using too light a bell can easily lead to compromising your form; some of the worst KB form I've seen is with people using too little bell. Definitely get an 8kg (or thereabout), and don't be surprised when you, like Beth, find yourself wanting a 12kg!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Old 10-05-11, 07:24 AM  
pedmom

Thank you VFers-guess I need to go shopping this weekend. I feel some soreness between the neck and shoulders this morning, so that tells me I was indeed using my upper body too much. Thanks again-as always I can count on you guys to steer me in the right direction. (And of course that means buying something new!)

Tags
dumbbell size, kettlebell, kettlebell beginner, kettlebell beginners, kettlebells, kettlebells for beginners