Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 09-04-11, 12:28 AM  
MARIKA

This worlout ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
AOS Providence - doing it 1-3 times a week transformed my body like no other workout, handsdown. I started with 15 lbs, but have worked my way up... I think it's the near perfect strength workout ever made!
I know most prefer Newport, which I do love but this is designed to go HEAVY! It's one of those workout that makes you think your woe=rking easy but then the Sweat!
Old 09-04-11, 01:44 AM  
icebergslim

I think with you being new to kettlebells, I would suggest the Skogg System. Micheal Skogg's tutorial is stellar. In this program you work with 6 kb moves in various ways, i.e. ladders, flow, intervals and roots. As you start out with this program it is with a lower kb but you gradually will increase the weight. It has been this system that I can do snatches and high pulls with a 26# weight and snatches I was at 18#. I know this is a pricey system and Lauren Brooks vids are good, but Skogg's main focus throughout this program is form. Form is critical in using kettlebells. You can easily hurt yourself if you don't have the form down correctly. In fact, I was doing some of the RKS workouts and did the 30 minute snatch workout and was ripping my hand up, I went back to Skogg and Steve Cotter (which you find out you have to do sometimes) and got that snatch down pat. I really can not say enough about this program.
Old 09-04-11, 03:25 AM  
akaAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergslim View Post
I think with you being new to kettlebells, I would suggest the Skogg System. Micheal Skogg's tutorial is stellar. In this program you work with 6 kb moves in various ways, i.e. ladders, flow, intervals and roots. As you start out with this program it is with a lower kb but you gradually will increase the weight. It has been this system that I can do snatches and high pulls with a 26# weight and snatches I was at 18#. I know this is a pricey system and Lauren Brooks vids are good, but Skogg's main focus throughout this program is form. Form is critical in using kettlebells. You can easily hurt yourself if you don't have the form down correctly. In fact, I was doing some of the RKS workouts and did the 30 minute snatch workout and was ripping my hand up, I went back to Skogg and Steve Cotter (which you find out you have to do sometimes) and got that snatch down pat. I really can not say enough about this program.
Skogg has worked wonders for me as well, this would be an ideal place to start especially for strength(although it increased my endurance more and faster than anything else). You really need a heavier bell for this though, like start with an 18lb, for it to actually work. I've never done the 4 round part of Skogg and often do it three days a week and still have huge improvements so it would leave you time to do some of your other workouts so it isn't a case of all or nothing. Skogg didn't make me tired and hungry either.
Old 09-04-11, 05:39 AM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Kelly, what did you get?
MB45 Essentials - the lower price got me
Old 09-04-11, 05:50 AM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
AOS Providence - doing it 1-3 times a week transformed my body like no other workout, handsdown. I started with 15 lbs, but have worked my way up... I think it's the near perfect strength workout ever made!
I'll have to read about this one
Old 09-04-11, 06:29 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Sarah does not recommend you use Bootcamp or Warrior until you have some kb experience.
Old 09-04-11, 07:19 AM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Sarah does not recommend you use Bootcamp or Warrior until you have some kb experience.
I can understand why, the Bootcamp workout would be very challenging for someone with little to no Kbell experience there's no rest until the circuits are over you go from lifting move straight to the next lifting move with tactical lungs and squats with snatches, you get the picture, very tough...Warrior has the advance kettlebell lifts, such as the snatches with a lung back and instead of rest after each circuit you do cardio, very challenging even for experience Kbell lifters. That being said these two are my favorite of Sarah's workouts...but not if you're new to Kbells
Old 09-04-11, 08:19 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thank you for the additional feedback! Sounds like I might be better off with one of Sarah's first 2 workouts; I don't mind the rest breaks (that seems to be in the main complaint in some of the reviews).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 09-04-11, 04:24 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I think the Iron Core ones are good ones for you to try and they meet your criteria. I would be willing to lend you Kettlebell Goddess if you are interested. There are some good strength oriented practices on it but there is no music and some people don't like that the instructors are so serious. There is a section that goes over basic form pointers as well. I also have Iron Core 3 if you want to try it.

Leslie
Old 09-04-11, 06:20 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Leslie, good to hear you say that about the Iron Cores--I just made a trade for Volumes 1 & 2! I think that will keep me busy for awhile, but I might take you up on your lend offer for #3 or Goddess at some future point--thanks!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.

Tags
kettlbells, kettlebell, kettlebell beginner, kettlebell beginners, kettlebell dvds, kettlebells, kettlebells for beginners