Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-09-10, 12:14 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'll trade with anyone when I'm actively trading (which I'm not right now). I've had packages get crushed from both foreign and domestic trades, so that doesn't make much difference. Most VF traders are prompt and honest!
Old 12-09-10, 03:48 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
or even in the titles, Ebby.
That would be amazing for saving us time, but when it's the first line, you can at least hover your cursor over the title and a little bubble will appear with the first couple lines so you can see if they are "Sorry, US Only" or whatever.

I'll admit, I had one person I sent trade requests to not once, but twice, who didn't end up trading with Canadians. I felt dumb the second time, as they seemed annoyed that I hadn't remembered, so I had to put them on my ignore list so I wouldn't do it again.
Old 12-09-10, 06:59 PM  
Kiwi Katie

Same here, Nelly. There really doesn't seem to be a home exercise market here in New Zealand, at least not for the more advanced workouts. Like you we have had Tae Bo and Zumba and were even lucky enough to have Fluidity via infomercial, but I mainly have to find my workouts via Amazon.

Last Christmas The Warehouse (a little like NZ's Wal-mart perhaps?) started importing thousands of ultra-cheap DVDs. Imagine my exitement when I discovered a Lotte Berk DVD in amongst all the old cheesy movies. I also got a few Firm titles all for under $4. I became a woman posessed and haunted every Warehouse store I could!

Now my next mission is to find a way to get P57 to NZ - shipping prices are astronomical!
Old 12-09-10, 07:49 PM  
upperwside

I have done many overseas and Canadian trades with no problem and will again! We are looking to leave the US and may be in Europe or Cananda again and i hope to continue trading!
Old 12-09-10, 08:48 PM  
RedPanda

Like the other non-US commenters here, I really value the ability to trade. There is virtually no culture of exercise DVDs in Australia, which makes DVDs difficult to sell on eBay, impossible to sell via second-hand CD/DVD shops, and impossible to find in thrift shops.

The very few workout DVDs I've seen in sports stores are Tae Bo, Gaiam kits, The Biggest Loser etc. The fact that the DVDs and kits are sold often years after their release, and appear very sporadically, makes me think that they are overstock items "dumped" here from the US. Also the DVDs usually sell for about $30, when the retail price at Amazon is around $10-15.

As well, many instructors and distributors don't sell outside US/Canada, and some of those that do charge exorbidant shipping fees - I've been quoted international shipping as high as $68 for one DVD! Nor do we have Netflix, Swap-a-DVD, or (as far as I'm aware) exercise programs on free-to-air TV.

If it weren't for international trades and the generosity of my "VF angels" who are happy to onforward me stuff, my vidiocy would be severely hampered.
Old 12-09-10, 11:43 PM  
videofit

I've never had a problem mailing anything overseas. I always go to the PO to mail any type of package because I'm never sure what the weight is, so it's not really an extra trip. It's no different than mailing within the US except you fill out a customs form. Of course, with heightened security measures, you probably have to strip naked now.
Old 12-10-10, 09:36 AM  
cristinalatina

I have to say that I'm extremely grateful for each and every trade I've arranged since moving from the US 3 years ago. I have a collection I'm proud of, and many hard to find items were trades. People are more than generous. We overseas VFers are also very motivated traders, and we know that you will pay more in shipping for the trade, that's why I always trade multiples to make sure my friends will be happy with our trade. Given the lack of availability though, I'm usually happier
Old 12-10-10, 11:07 AM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Of course, with heightened security measures, you probably have to strip naked now.
Just one more reason to keep working out with videos!
Old 12-10-10, 02:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've only done it to assist the person overseas. on a number of occasions, VFers asked me to purchase something on the net and mail it to them. usually something where the vendor didn't ship overseas.

as an ebay seller, i have a policy where i don't mail overseas simply because tracking fees are so expensive, and i want the tracking option. but i have purchased many things from overseas as an ebay buyer - mostly small things like Barbie shoes and bracelet charms!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 12-10-10, 03:54 PM  
KathAL79

I love trading overseas. I have had a case arrive cracked on the other end, and I felt so bad. That's it as far as bad experiences that I've had, knock on wood.

But I understand why people won't trade internationally. Here you have to fill out the form, even if you do it at home, and you have to hand the item to a clerk, which means physically going to the post office and waiting in line, and if your post office is far away or normally very busy or staffed with rude or otherwise unhelpful employees (I've been lucky with my past few cities, but I lived in one where the manager actually told me off for complaining about shoddy service because "they're just not people persons") it could be a real hassle.
I don't find the overseas shipping fees for a DVD exorbitant, but if you're trading because your budget is tight, having to shell out even an extra dollar or two is a big deal.
And I don't mind the shipping times. I've had good luck - I don't think anything has ever taken more than 3-4 weeks - but it does require extra patience, and not everyone is willing or able to wait that long.

That said, shipping something to an international buyer (like from Amazon's marketplace) is a hassle. I prefer not to deal with that.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.

Tags
trade courtesy, trading