Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-17-01, 09:21 PM  
Cheryl

Step

Okay, I'm ready to buy a step, 'cause the hi/lo is getting to my knees a little. The general consensus on this board is to get a Reebok Full Size Step. BUT.......do they not sell them in stores?

The ones I've seen in my sporting goods stores are a brand called Bollinger. They look just like the Reebok Step (I think) and they say full size on them. Is that a good one to get?

Cheryl
Old 12-17-01, 09:40 PM  
Celia M

Bollinger

I believe Bollinger is the manufacturer for what is often referred to as the Step Co. step. They put out a smaller version, as well as the full size "club" version. Make sure you get the full size one!

In comparison with the Reebok step, I actually like the Step Co/Bollinger step better - I think it's more versatile. The Step Co. one adjusts from 4" to 8", and you can add extra risers to go even higher (like for step ups), while the Reebok step doesn't go any lower than 6", and though it goes to 10", you can't add risers to go any higher.
Old 12-17-01, 11:45 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Ditto!

Ditto to everything Celia says!

The Reebok step is actually narrower and shorter than the StepCo/Bollinger Step. The Reebok step is 13" wide and 35" long whereas the StepCo step is 16" wide and 40" long. I notice the difference when I lay on my step for weight-lifting workouts.

Of course, I'm thrilled you can add enough risers to the StepCo step to make a tall box for FIRM workouts too - it's very stable. Even better, make a mini-topper and you'll have the most complete adjustable system ever!

My workouts really upped in intensity when I went from a small Joanie Greggins step to a full-sized step. Whew! I kept wondering "How on EARTH is Cathe making it over the step and back?" because she's more petite than me and I couldn't do it!

Good luck!
Old 12-18-01, 09:49 AM  
ErinF
Exchange Moderator

To clear up possible confusion . . .

or perhaps to add some, the Step Co./Bollinger step USED to be called Reebok. Some people who have used the Step Co. step in health clubs may have seen the name Reebok on them. This was the original step that Reebok put out, and then they switched styles to the gray and black one with the risers that snap into place. So depending on the person's source of information, someone may be speaking of either of 2 very different steps when they say "Reebok step." Now we add this new change from Step Co. to Bollinger, and we really have a chance for confusion. Will the REAL "Original Step" please stand up?

BTW, my personal preference, having used both, is for the Step Co./Bollinger step. It's somewhat longer and wider, and you can build it up to a comfortable height for use as a weight bench with extra risers.

Good luck!

Erin

DISCLAIMER: I appeared as a background exerciser in a Patrick Goudeau step video. Impartiality in regard to his workouts, or any those of any other instructor with complex choreography, is NOT guaranteed!
Old 12-18-01, 10:07 AM  
Cheryl

Oh, my, that IS confusing! But now I know why I couldn't find anything called a Reebok step :0)

Hey, everybody, thanks for all the replies. There's another message board that I'm trying to find out info about a medical condition I was just diagnosed with (rosacea) and everybody ignores my posts! There is only one person on there who responds to my gazillion questions.

All I got was a handout from the dr.'s office, and that made it sound really scary! I obviously have a very mild case of it, I just look like I've been out in the sun and across my cheeks and the bridge of my nose is a little red. I guess for some people it's really bad. But I'm still kind of in the dark about what it's all about.

So it's really nice that people are so willing to help out with info on this board and so quickly, and much appreciated!

Cheryl
Old 12-31-01, 09:55 AM  
Lynne11

Post Rosacea information

Cheryl, I noticed that you were looking for information about rosacea. Here is a link to a web site for Paula Beguoin (sp?) who has published several books about cosmetics and skin care products. Her web site has a page about rosacea that I thought was fairly informative when I read it a few weeks ago.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/skinfacts/rosacea.htm
Old 12-31-01, 10:05 AM  
KayB
VF Supporter

National Rosacea Society

Cheryl,
There just happened to be an article in this mornings newspaper in one of those "ask the doc" columns about rosacea. He referred the person to The National Rosacea Society for information on the latest treatments. I did a quick internet search & here's the website:
http://www.rosacea.org/home.html
Hope this helps.

As for a step, as a person who will probably never get above 4" for doing step tapes the Step Co. step is for me!
Old 12-31-01, 11:13 AM  
Cheryl

Lynne and Kay

Thanks so much for posting those sites! I had already found the rosacea.org, but Lynne, I hadn't seen the one you found. I'm okay with it now, but the first few days, I was obssessively checking my face in the mirror every ten minutes to see if it was getting worse, thinking I looked like a monster and I might as well become a cloistered nun because it seems like EVERYTHING IN LIFE causes it..........I finally just had to laugh at myself for being so ridiculous! Most people only know I have it if I tell them, so I guess I'm lucky that it's so mild.

Oh, and Santa brought me a Step Co. step! And then I promptly got sick with some flu-cold thing that has kept me on the couch for a week. But on Xmas Day, I did try just a little of the Reebok Step video that came with the step......I felt like I was doing aerobics for the first time again! I mean, I was starting to get the hang of the floor aerobics and thought it would transfer over to the step, but apparently not? Or maybe I was just low energy cause I was getting sick.

Anyhow, I can't wait to try it! I hope I didn't lose too much of the progress I made by not working out for a week.......

Cheryl
Old 01-02-02, 02:34 AM  
Mpup

Thumbs up Fun Step Workout

A friend told me about a new step workout that you do with a partner called Duo-Step. She brings her platform over and the two of us switch and swap platforms back and forth while doing combinations.

It's so much fun. Very invigorating. And doing it with a partner makes it not boring like regular stepping. We do it to the Duo-Step SuperStep videos. They are meant for instructors, but we just fast forward it to the workout part. She found it at aerobeat.com.
Old 01-06-02, 08:26 PM  
Ann2

I have seen the Reebok step (the black one with grey snap ins) at Dick Sporting Goods-- I don't know if they have one where you are, but they have several locations here so I assume they are some sort of chain.

I just recently bought the Step Co. step from a link off cathe's web site, www.cathe.com. I am really enjoying it! I have never used the Reebok step.