Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-06, 03:09 PM  
DRD0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp
Okay, dumb question: if you're NOT pregnant, IS there any such thing as too flexible??? It seems to me it's just not possible, but is it?????

Raising my hand. I have some back and hip issues that are caused by me being too loose. I can still do splits, either leg leading and out and have been told being hypermobile has been a cause of my issues. I have to be very careful how I sit or I will push my hip, and cause back and hip pain. Weight training does help.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-06, 04:42 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Yes, you can definitely be too hypermobile where stretching is not warranted.

I have very hypermobile sacroiliac joints and lower back. I rarely stretch my lower body due to actually "slipping" my pelvis relative to my spine. So even what seems to be an innocuous stretch can have me off to the physio and in pain for days. The best defense for me is pilates and lots of core stability work.

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-06, 05:42 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

But, the difference is that you guys are talking about a 'condition' which causes these issues for you. IMO that is completely different than just saying "stretching is counter-productive to strength training".

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-06, 06:10 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~
But, the difference is that you guys are talking about a 'condition' which causes these issues for you. IMO that is completely different than just saying "stretching is counter-productive to strength training".
Yes, it is different - as I wrote in previous posts, I'm not suggesting for one minute that stretching is counterproductive to strength training in "normal" individuals - but it is worth highlighting that hypermobility is a real issue for many of us. After 4 years of intensive pilates, I can stretch a little more now

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-06, 06:14 PM  
DRD0

I was replying to the post asking if there is such a thing as too much flexibility, ie, can it be bad. Liz has the same thing I have, and I don't officially do Pilates as I have not found any that I like, but I do a lot of core work to keep everything very strong. Something as simple as a 2 hour drive to Chicago not realizing I am leaning with my right hip out can cause me pain. I use chiropractic adjustments to put things back in place when that happens.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-06, 01:44 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz N
Yes, it is different - as I wrote in previous posts, I'm not suggesting for one minute that stretching is counterproductive to strength training in "normal" individuals - but it is worth highlighting that hypermobility is a real issue for many of us. After 4 years of intensive pilates, I can stretch a little more now
What is interesting is that the very thing (Pilates) that you used to HELP with this mobility issue, is one of the things that has been demonized in this thread as 'too much stretching'. Both Pilates and Yoga train muscles as well, which seems to be forgotten in many of these posts. Try holding those poses with no muscle, and it isn't going to happen, try the Pilates side lyling series without strength and IT ain't going to happen. I know that you guys aren't saying anything different, but some have, and that is what I am referring to. The belief that these methods are somehow about stretch and not strength.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-06, 02:01 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Liz and DRD0, thanks for your replies. I suspected that there are some individuals who are so limber, esp. in lower body, that such flexibility could be a problem. But you two also are working on ways to offset that situation and hopefully anyone else who has such issues will see your posts and be inspired

To me, I can't imagine trying to do Pilates or Yoga with so little muscle strength. While I use Yoga for stretching, I do appreciate having enough strength to hold those poses as long as needed (according to the videos I use). How can anyone accuse Pilates of "too much stretching"???? That type or exercise requires plenty of strength, too!!!
Old 12-27-07, 07:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapmaker
Some of the Polar HRM models estimate the % calories from fat for a workout session which is an estimate of fat oxidation based on exercise intensity.

.....I would have liked to see the data grouped by age and VO2max which wasn't presented. I suspect those numbers were calculated and sent directly to Polar.
REVIVING this thread.

soapmaker, or anyone, is there a chart somewhere that shows the fat oxidation based on a person's parameters (weight, length of exercise time, etc.)?

i have a basic polar HRM that does not estimate fat loss in calories or fat loss % - i simply use it for watching my training zone.

i've read this book about periodization and it discusses vo2 max (Richard L. Brown's LEAP book) and how it factors into your personal fat burning equation, and i plan to re-read it. however, if there are other books out there that have charts or formulas, i'd be interested. i am not interested in the formula for calculating your fat burning HR zone (that's the result that keeps popping up when doing a net search).

sorry if i sound like a blooming idiot, but i don't recall all of the terminology.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 08:57 PM  
Baballou

Good grief! Do I get a prize for reading this whole thread?

I kept waiting for the part when you just tell me what workouts to do! It's ok if I don't understand why! Do I need to do HIIT? What workouts would that be?

And I'm still laughing over this quote found somewhere between page 14 and 17:

Quote:
I usually have a couple of beers after a workout.

Quote:
DISCLOSURE: I DO NOT have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. However, I would be more than happy to have such a relationship, especially if it involves free videos!.
Baballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 09:04 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baballou
Good grief! Do I get a prize for reading this whole thread?

I kept waiting for the part when you just tell me what workouts to do!
Do a 1/4-mile walk away from the dinner table right before dessert is served.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote