Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Notices

Old 09-01-05, 08:28 AM  
Helen

Do you have a punching/kicking bag?

DH just bought DD (only 7!) a punching bag on a stand for her to practice her Tae Kwon Do. It's gone into the gym so I can use it to really kick during kickboxing workouts, though it's cut down my stepping room even more

My question: Do you use bare hands and feet or should I invest in some protection? DD has sock-like things with padding over her shins and feet.

Also - it is actually feasible to DO a video workout and actually kick the bag? I've seen some people to this in Billy Blanks TaeBo.

Thanks in advance for any advice
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 09-01-05, 09:02 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I have a heavy bag. I definitely recommend wearing hand protection and shoes. I have a pair of boxing gloves, and a pair of, Tae Bo gloves, which look more like mitts.

I've also used my Tae Bo workouts with my heavy bag. They work really well.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Old 09-01-05, 09:09 AM  
Inga

Punching Bag

Hi Helen-

is this a heavy bag? w the base filled w water or sand? About 4ft high and adjustable?

If so- DEFINITELY USE punching GLOVES to protect your knuckles and wrists. Depending on how HARD you plan to punch (i.e. how good a day you are having!) determines what kind of goves I wear. There are gloves that are about a step up to bike-riding gloves. They cover the knuckles w extra padding- that's about it. Then, which I recommend, there are the typical boxing gloves, see link as example. http://www.siamball.com/p_box01.htm When I use the heavier gloves- I also wrap my wrists- just to keep them stable.

I kick hard- but do not wear shin padding, etc. That's basically for sparring so if you do take a hit- it's not as painful. So- for kicking the bag you are fine with bare feet. (i like barefoot since I can really get my front kick form correct- point of contact being the ball of the foot- it all depends on how serious you want to take this...shoes are fine,too!) Just remember to go very easy in the beginning- esp watch your form on your kicks and punches on the heavy bag. It's a FANTASTIC workout.

Ideas for workouts:
-You can work up to 3 minute rounds, inbetw. you can drop down and do push-ups/jump jax.
-you can focus on only using the right side for punches/kicks for a round; then left side.
-almost any punch and kick combination can be done on the heavy bag- Example- the Guillermo Gomez/Janis Saffell video- you can do his combos on the heavy bag. (IMHO- Janis has too many turns and is too dance-y for the heavy bag). It will take some modifying- but the heavy bag can be incorporated.

Hope this helps! HAVE FUN!!!
Old 09-01-05, 09:16 AM  
KickDancer

I always wear shoes for kickboxing workouts, so that protects my feet when I'm kicking the bag. These days I wear cheap boxing gloves to protect my hands when punching the bag, but back in my kung-fu training days, we would go at the bag barehanded. However, the punching technique we used was slightly different, in that we would slap the bag with an open hand (palm or back of hand), which doesn't stress the knuckles and other joints in the way that a direct punch does. I've also seen at least one instructor demonstrate punches barehanded, but that's the fighting-tough (frighteningly-tough?) kickboxer Scott Elliott, who leads the rather hardcore Analytical Fighting Systems Heavy Bag workout.

Another option is to use handwraps, which are much cheaper than gloves but more time-consuming to put on and take off. They protect the knuckles and the wrists (by maintaining the correct alignment) from the impact.

It is possible to work the bag with a video, although you won't be able to watch the video as much as you might otherwise. For this reason, and because of the need to keep your target in one location, complicated choreography doesn't work well. Simpler drills with clear audio cues are best.

I wish my heavy bag were in my regular workout space so I could get more use out of it. I'm just not as likely to trek down to the basement lugging my laptop to do a video on the bag.

HTH!
Old 09-01-05, 09:44 PM  
Helen

Thanks!!

It IS a heavy bag, about 4 feet long, stuffed solid with rags at the top where the zip is. Don't know what's at the bottom. It dangles from chain at the top of a stand.

Sounds like I should just TRY bare foot first - I'm a no-shoe person mostly, except when stepping. If I bruise/hurt - then I'll add something.

Hands? I have fingerless leather gloves that DH bought for sweaty hands on the weights - I'll see how they go first.

I'm kind of new to it so my strength at the punch/kick won't be much.

Again - thank you!!!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.