Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Notices

Old 04-27-10, 01:47 PM  
Libby

Hula Hoops

What is your favorite hoop and where did you get it? I'm ready to move on from my Wal-Mart hoop.

Libby
Old 04-27-10, 08:04 PM  
turbojunkie

I just ordered one from this seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/hulahoopsnmore/

They were great to work with - excellent communication, very good at helping you to figure out what size would work best for your needs/body type. And the price wasn't too bad, either. I did the customize your own hoop option.

ETA: I'm in the Houston area, too.
Old 04-28-10, 12:45 PM  
alisoncooks

I made mine using this tutorial (& w/ all the leftover supplies, I made an extra for me, 1 for my daughter & niece... & sold the rest on craigslist for $15/ea.)

ETA: I don't use a dryer...I hold in boiling water for 10-20 sec...
Old 04-29-10, 10:57 AM  
Libby

TO: Turbojunkie

Did you purchase a beginner hoop or a professional? I'm definately a beginner but the lady from this ebay site said I need a 160 psi. Isn't that sort of heavy? Thanks! Libby
Old 04-29-10, 02:34 PM  
ssgilby

I'm just entering the world of hooping, so I don't have a "favorite" yet. I did, however, order the beginner bundle from Hoop Girl, which includes a hoop. I haven't gotten the hoop yet (it ships separately from the book and videos), but the book is excellent and the vids look like they're going to be good! (The bundle comes with a book and a companion video, a hoop dance video and a hoop dance workout video.) I'm so excited for my hoop to come so I can start!! I believe Hoop Girl says that the hoop that comes with the beginner bundle (it's the "Energy" hoop I think, which I believe isn't the heaviest hoop nor is it the lightest) is perfect for beginners. I'll let you know what I think after I've tried it, although I don't have anything to compare it to - yet! I hope to someday have a variety of hoops! I'm also eyeing the Marisa Tomei kit (at Gaiam and Amazon), which also comes with a hoop. If I cave, I'll have two hoops to compare.
Old 04-29-10, 04:07 PM  
turbojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
Did you purchase a beginner hoop or a professional? I'm definately a beginner but the lady from this ebay site said I need a 160 psi. Isn't that sort of heavy? Thanks! Libby

Most sites that I've read up on also recommend 160 for beginners, unless you're really petite. The way I figure, they know a heck of a lot more than I do, so I'll listen to them. Heavier is easier to keep going when you're starting out.
Old 04-29-10, 07:57 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojunkie View Post
Most sites that I've read up on also recommend 160 for beginners, unless you're really petite. The way I figure, they know a heck of a lot more than I do, so I'll listen to them. Heavier is easier to keep going when you're starting out.
Agreed. I made mine from 160 psi. I made my daughter's from 100 psi (she's 4), which is quite lighter (and difficult to keep going as a beginner). However, I made some for a lady that does tricks and she preferred the 100 psi (she also bought a very small hoop from me to do hoop dancing).