Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear > Shoes/Equipment/Gear FAQ's
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-15-02, 10:13 AM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

Question Rebounder fans, I need advice!

Hello,
I was wondering if you all could answer some rebounder-specific questions for me. I'm considering getting one (you all make it sound like such a great investment - hear me, Martha E.?) and would love ANY input you can give me. Thanks a lot!!!

1) Where did you hear about it?
2) What brand did you buy and are you happy with it?
3) What workouts do you use with it? Are there any made specifically for it?
4) How high off the floor is it, and how high doyou jump? Do you ever hit the ceiling? I don't have low ceiling, but it is certainly not what I'd call high.

Thank you thank you thank you,
Kathy

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
Old 04-15-02, 11:55 AM  
rockette
VF Supporter

Hi Kathy,

1. I heard about rebounders when I did a web search for low impact aerobics.

2. I bought a Needak rebounder off of ebay for $195($20 for shipping, I believe). I do enjoy my rebounder. The reason I decided to go with a more expensive one is because I'd read that the less expensive ones aren't as well made and don't absorb impact as well(they don't "give" as much I guess). Several who have tried cheaper models and more expensive ones have said the more expensive ones are sturdier and "give" more. I guess if you don't have a problem with your knees like I do than you could try a cheaper one and see how it works for you.

3. I haven't used my rebounder in a couple of weeks cause I'm varying my cardio(I'm doing step now). When I do use it for workouts, I'll do intervals where I jog for about 2 min then do a run for a minute. This takes 30min. I'll also do 45-60min of jogging on it. I only have 1 rebounding tape(Keep On Rebounding) which I don't find very exciting. Urban Rebounding seems to be a lot more interesting. I've also used my rebounder for hi-impact moves from other videos like Firm Vol2 when she's jogging in place. There's a thread about videos you can use with your rebounder. I believe it's entitled Official Rebounder Substitution thread.

4. When using your rebounder you aren't trying to jump as high as you can. You're actually jumping down as opposed to jumping up so you don't go very high at all. Someone gave the example of jumping into a puddle, you jump down into a puddle to make a big splash. It's the same with a rebounder.

HTH,
Rockette
Old 04-15-02, 12:02 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

Thank you, Rockette. It helps a lot!!!

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

Old 04-15-02, 12:11 PM  
Hilary

Bypass eBay and...

If you call George, who auctions the new Needaks on eBay, rather than do one of his auctions, he will offer you a free tape (one of the choices is Urban Rebounding). Or you can email him; his address is at eBay. His (toll-free, I think) number is 877-252-0409. I think he'll do this deal -- tell him your friend, Hilary, said he would :-)

I have the Needak and really like it. I just use it for bouncing up and down and getting exercise while I do something else, like watching TV. I used to step in place, but rebounding is more fun. My kids love it too. The Needak is sturdy and I like the idea that it folds so you can take it with you on trips.
Old 04-15-02, 12:15 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

Thanks, Hilary.
I'm thinkin' about it...
Kathy

- Reggie Leach

Old 04-15-02, 12:16 PM  
Messe

Wink Martha E replies

I bought an inexpensive rebounder so long ago that I can't remember when! I used it a while, then put it aside, but it moved with me a couple of times because I couldn't make myself get rid of it. I got re-inspired to try it this winter and realized that I wanted something a bit better, so I went with the Needak from eBay George--someone here at VF posted about him. I've been in love with rebounding from the moment I climbed on the Needak!

I have five rebounder-specific videos: the original Urban Rebounding and the two new ones, Champion Rebounding, and (yes, Debbie, I found a copy ) Jump to It, which is a gazillion years old but is a superb rebounding workout once you get beyond its very dated look (but hey, one of the exercisers has on a leotard just like one I scrimped and saved to buy because I thought it was sooo cool, so it's a great nostalgia trip for me!). I've tried others with varying degrees of success. The best for me are Leslie Sansone's walking videos. They take on a whole new life on a rebounder--they're more intense. I also bought the 2-CD package of rebounding music from the UR web site (45 minutes per CD), and I love it!

Rockette is right--think of jumping down, as in into a puddle, instead of bouncing up. It makes all the difference in the intensity and quality of your workout.

My rebounder makes me look forward to doing cardio, and this is definitely a change for me, so it's been worth every penny I paid for it--maybe even more!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Old 04-15-02, 12:21 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

thank you, Martha E!

Excellent! thanks for sharing your knowledge.
I was worried that I'd be hitting the ceiling. Now I'm concerned that maybe I should wait because I don't have many (...any?) tapes that I can think of off the top of my head that I could use with a rebounder. Since I have to have all the toys (eventually) I know I will get one and probably from George (thanks everyone!). But for now I think I will do lots of research on it and be content with my new ooofball...

Kathy

- Reggie Leach

Old 04-15-02, 12:25 PM  
Felicia

I had read about them here initially and could not imagine why in the world I would want one. I attended a CIA fitness conference and got a fantastic deal on the Urban rebounding unit and have used it at least once a week ever since. I have several rebounder specific tapes and I enjoy most of them, but I actually have more fun adapting other hi/lo and kickboxing tapes to it.
Here are the rebounder-specific ones I like: (warning, many of them have lots of repetitive moves and you could get bored - not me though)

- Urban rebounding - original
- Urban rebounding - Challange
- Urban rebounding - Basics
- Champion Rebounding
- Champion Rebounding for Kids (I like it even though it features kids)
- AirOBics phase II

I have a few others that are just ok

A few non-rebounding tapes I've used:

- Tae Bo Basics
- Fat Burning for Dummies
- Gilad Quick Fit; Fat Burning
- Leslie Sansone Walk and Kick
- Plyorbics Challange (my favorite adaptation)

I love my rebounder and if Martha was not already using it, my logo would read "I think I hear my rebounder calling".

Good luck

"If your DH isn't complaining, you don't have enough videos" - SteveW
Old 04-15-02, 12:29 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

I want one! I want one!

I want one and I don't even have any dust on my new ooofball yet! Hmmmm....ooofball AND rebounder workout...now THAT sounds like FUN!!!

Kathy

- Reggie Leach

Old 04-15-02, 12:35 PM  
Messe

Wink Kathy:

Just keep on replying to our posts, and you'll be sucked into the rebounding cult as surely as Cleda will keep sucking VFers into the Spinervals cult.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou