Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-20-06, 09:04 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Iron Woody Pullup Bands-Da Bomb!!!!

OH..............MY................Gosh!!!

Not too often do I purchase something feeling like I am paying too much and end up thinking I got a smokin deal, but these bands are absolutely amazing! I was expecting bands like resistance bands that we work out with, only stronger. NOT. This "assisted pullup package" that I got from Iron Woody consists of 3 bands, small, med, and large so as you get stronger you can go to lighter bands until you don't need them anymore. These things are built like you would not believe! They are flat and very thick, and wide, like a very thick belt, only rubber. And they are in a loop, so no tying necessary, just loop it through itself on the bar. I was doing pullups last night REAL pullups instead of the modified stuff I have been doing, it just felt so EMPOWERING!! I can't wait until I can be pulling my whole body up like that under only my own steam, but NOW I know what that will really feel like. This package cost 59.95 and when I got it I was feeling like I was paying an awful lot for 3 bands. Though compared to buying them separately I think I saved a TON. The bands run from almost $30 to $50 a piece sold individually. When I opened that package (these things weigh a ton!), I was SO pleasantly surprised! If you are serious about your pullup quest, this is the package, no doubt about it! It will take you from very beginner to the day you can say "I DID it, I did a pullup!!".

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
Old 12-20-06, 09:17 AM  
mbramer

I'm glad you're happy with them! It's always good when you feel like you've gotten a good deal The more I hear about Iron Woody and its products, the more impressed I am. I think I may have to cave and order from them sometime soon...
Old 12-20-06, 09:20 AM  
znipke

Smile

Merry Christmas to me!!! I am definitely going to check that out. I have been getting a little frustrated with my pull ups because my chair isnt that sturdy. I have been switching back and forth with pull ups and pull downs with the band. These sound like the ticket!

Thanks for the tip!

Lori
Old 12-20-06, 09:29 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

You're welcome. I can't believe how different it feels to really be DOING them, you know? In an up and down direction, LOL. I just loop it through itself and no tying involved. The only issue, and it would be with ANY band heavy enough to be used for pullups, is that you need to be CAREFUL getting in and out. You can use knees or feet, depending on how much help you need. I need to use my feet, as it gives me more of an assist by stretching the band more, I step up on my fanny lifter, put ONE foot in the loop and press down until I am standing ON the loop, then I cross my other leg OVER the loop and sort of cross my ankles and it all feels really sturdy, then I pull up a bit on the bar to lift my feet off of the fanny lifter and drop to the floor, though I am actually hovering OVER the floor at that point. Then begin the pullups. Chin goes all the way up over the bar. Feels really good on the lats. Then when my set is done, I pull up and move mylegs slightly backwards again so I land on the fanny lifter, I uncross my top foot from the other and then I HOLD the band with my hands pulling down a bit on each side to relieve the tension by the feet and step out, releasing the tension with my hands. You just don't want the thing to fly up when you release the tension, or to grab your foot as it flies up into the air, LOL. But as I said, this would be the case with any band, and with these, I do not see the same risk of them whipping into an eye or somehting, because they are just too thick and wide for that. Awesome, just Awesome!!

Old 12-20-06, 09:36 AM  
Bliss6789

I use bands for assisted pullups too. Getting in and out of them takes some doing, but it is so worth it. Like you said, it's empowering!
Old 12-20-06, 09:37 AM  
znipke

Red,
Is there a big difference in the three bands? which one worked the best for you so far.
I just ordered the package!

thanks,
Lori
Old 12-20-06, 09:54 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by znipke
Red,
Is there a big difference in the three bands? which one worked the best for you so far.
I just ordered the package!

thanks,
Lori
Depends on how strong you are in the beginning, but I need them all. When I first looked at how STRONG they are, I told DH that I probably wouldn't be needing the Large size, as it states it is 25 lbs to 150 lbs of resistance. I weigh 130 so I figured if it was up to 150 it would be way too much and I would go to the next band. But it is only 150 resistance at it's PEAK pulled out all the way, since my weight doesn't do that to it, it is PERFECT right now for me to get out about 9 pullups. Then I can't get my chin over the bar at that point. PERFECT doncha think? Then, when this is just no work at all, I will go to the medium band for less help. Then to the small. There is a definite difference in the bands. I couldn't do a pullup with the medium yet, though I did get my nose to the bar, LOL!

Old 12-20-06, 09:38 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss6789
I use bands for assisted pullups too. Getting in and out of them takes some doing, but it is so worth it. Like you said, it's empowering!
Isn't it? I just LOVE that feeling when my eyes pop out over the bar, LOL! I told DH that the day I can do that without bands he will hear the shout that went around the world!!

Old 12-20-06, 10:01 AM  
sanchiababy

Can these be used on bars permanently installed?

RedFlame,

My pull-up bars are one of those that are permanently installed. Do you think these bands could be used on the permanently installed bars as well? I have really wanted to learn to do pull-ups without my husband's assistance and I'm hoping this is the answer to my prayers.

Let me know what you think.

Sanchia
Old 12-20-06, 10:00 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Could you post a link to the web site?
These sound great!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42

Tags
iron woody bands